Monday, January 20, 2014

Appliances are installed!

Hello,
My post last month showed you pics of my demolition project on my parts RV. Since the RV is trashed I thought I'd take a moment to show you pictures of what my MPD, Foxy, looks like today. See below...
Foxy's side view, door side.
The back. The back stage wall is held up by a ratchet strap until the door hinge is re-installed.
Roxy's front. Notice the window's eyelashes.
Today I completed the window waterproofing project that has gone on since last summer. I added rubber window corners, seen below. I also caulked the newly installed corners with Sikoflex. This final step couldn't happen until it stopped raining so the sealant has a chance to cure. I took my chance and caulked it today.





The Sikoflex caulking happened today, but the appliance installation occurred over the last few weeks. I got word from my property host that I had until the end of January before I had to move my stuff. So the bf and I cancelled our vacation to Santa Barbara, and I had a full three weeks of free time to get busy. (Don't worry, vacation has been rescheduled.) Being the dead of Winter in Seattle, I admit the cold is temperate compared to most places. Nevertheless, it was c-c-c-cold. Thankfully, it wasn't very rainy.

I began by installing the fridge/freezer. That 3-way fridge/freezer is worth more than the entire RV. I thought about finding a smaller fridge, until I remembered a summer without ice. Here it is, the fridge camouflaged amidst the Roxy's interior plywood. You can see the dance room through the threshold, and the future bathroom, which I am leaving until a later date, is between the door and the fridge.



Next, the stove, sink, and water tank. This is not standard cabinet construction; I used 2 x 4s to secure the structure due to one problem, the tank. In order to allow tank removal, I had to keep the corner column off of the ground. Other than that, the construction went one - cut - at - a - time. Result, a very square support. The sink and stove fit!



Then I roughed out the bench seat. To my delight, it turns out to be long enough to sleep on comfortably! The supports pictured below were made with a biscuit joiner and glue. They are not installed, just there to show two voluminous storage compartments. During the wood construction phase I discovered myself hopping out of Foxy and literally running to the mitre saw. I loved cabinet making! Next, the water heater. I cut a hole in the exterior, then slipped the heater in. It is in the center compartment, below.



 Appliance installation is not complete until the appliances are usable. Above you can see a bunch of hoses on the ground. The hoses are part of the fresh water system that I installed with the help of a borrowed crimping tool and some new copper crimp rings. Below is the exterior locker that connects the fresh water system. From left to right, you can see an exterior shower unit, the pressurized external water hook up (as in a garden hose), and the tank intake.


Next, the propane. Using iron pipe for beneath the trailer frame, and copper pipe for inside, I retrofit the RV system to Foxy's needs. Randy, the fabricator who built Foxy's metalwork showed me how to use his pipe threader.

The threader with my pipe inside of it.
Me, with the iron pipe work complete!

Voila, the propane system is installed. OK, it took two days of molding fragile copper pipe into subtle turns and twists to fit it through the floor holes I drilled and into the pipe under the trailer frame. 

Bad news, my beloved DIY door failed me. The plexi glass is very thin and thus very brittle. I suspect it broke after repeatedly closing the door. To add insult to injury, the exterior shingles started falling off. Result of all this DIYwork: I will probably buy a new door anyway.





No comments:

Post a Comment